As a new psychology major, you will be placed in the Lower Division.
There are three prerequisites which must be completed during the first thirty hours as a declared psychology major:
- Psyc 101 (Introduction to Psychology),
- Psyc 226 (Research Methods)
- Achievement of at least a 2.25 cumulative USC grade point average.
Once these three prerequisites are completed, you will be moved into the Upper Division.
While in Lower Division, you will be assigned to the Undergraduate Student Services Office (specifically the Undergraduate Coordinator) for group advising. This is the procedure:
- Receive advisement reminder by email, blackboard or PSYC Listserv.
- Sign up on-line for one of the sessions convenient to your schedule.
- Review your handbook, look at the available courses on the web or the master schedule, take time to plan courses and write down questions.
- Attend session for which you signed up.
- Bring a copy of the degree plan and a list of courses you want to take.
GROUP ADVISING SESSION: During the group advising, you will participate in a large group session and small group session.
The large group session will cover information which all majors need to know and provides an opportunity to ask questions. You will then divide into a small group led by a faculty advisor. The faculty advisor already has your records and will discuss your course needs with you at that time.
SARS Calendar – On-line advising appointment sign up